Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Life, Unemployed, Part 1

My last job ended on November 2nd. That was a long time ago. Admittedly, I took a couple months off for travel, holidays, and heartbreak recovery, but by early in the new year it was time to start the dreaded hunt for employment, one of the most overwhelming, demoralizing, and un-fun activities known to man (next to, perhaps, moving, or laser hair removal, both of which I’ve done far too much of). Since I began my job search, I have gone through various phases of motivation, procrastination, and depression. I’ve sent out countless resumes, had most of them ignored, been rejected for innumerable jobs, pounded miles worth of pavement, and even had one job offer that was later revoked. This last bit sent me first to the bar to console myself with frozen margaritas, and then sent me spiraling down into the depths of the pit of unemployed despair, and very abruptly and suddenly brought my job search to a week-long stand-still. But that can only last so long. I’m back now. Back at it again, back on Craigslist, back out in the big scary world of fellow desperate job seekers.

I have to say it hasn’t been all bad. I certainly enjoy the extra spare time (yes, all you income-earning laborers out there, this is the only point we have to hold over your gainfully employed heads, so forgive me if I milk it for all it’s worth). And I’ve kept busy. As most of us living off the State or our dwindling savings will agree, it’s amazing how we can still fill a day with countless activities (albeit not always productive ones), even when not actively seeking employment. I’ve spent my time seeing friends, swimming (hours a day), catching up on Grey’s Anatomy reruns and any other treasures my DVR might hold, painting flowers on my dresser, occasionally sleeping in too late or shopping (despite my lack of funds)... I also took a refresher course at my bartending school, took pole dancing classes, lost 14 pounds (the extra gym time an unemployed schedule allows pays off!). And I have picked up a few odd jobs here and there. I signed up with a temp agency which has given me the occasional miscellaneous work assignment here and there—such as serving hors d’oeuvres and clearing plates at a bat mitzvah, helping out at a Bordeaux wine tasting event (I got to speak a little French and taste a little wine myself. Bonus), and working as a bartender at a big corporate gathering at Google. Mind you, the Google office is now one of my favorite places in the world, and quite possibly one of THE best places to work. They get three free meals in their in-house cafeteria, countless snacks and treats at all hours; have Razor scooters to get around the office, and the best part—they get to play with Legos! I’m supposed to work a 12-hour shift there next week as-- of all things-- a coat check girl. Not my ideal job, but whatever, I get to hang out for the day at Google!

Now, as my sixth month of unemployment rapidly approaches, my mom finally convinced me that I should start a blog about the life of the unemployed. I certainly know there are enough of you out there in the same predicament who can relate, so hopefully someone might actually read this. And those of you with a regular paycheck may wish to have a look at it as well, so you can laugh and gloat and revel in your more fortunate circumstances. Either way, for my first entry, I thought I’d start out with what I did today. A day in the life of the unemployed. But that part will have to wait till tomorrow. I’m out of time and you are probably out of patience.

More tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great initiative

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very very detailed. yep, unemployment sucks eventually. it was nice at first. free jingleling in your pockets is nice in the begining. but that didn't last. and i found myself in some trouble witch made life and finding a job alot harder. i put applications in everywhere, retail, fast food grocery stores restaurants. i spent all of 09' sans employment. in january this year i did get a job at a grocery store as a bagger. had to swallow alot of pride on that one. but it didn't last, they recently promoted me to the meat dept. apparently, they aren't used to a good work ethic in a bagger so they put me where i'd do better. the funny thing is when i was in high school i was a bagger at another store and i made the same move to the meaat dept. its like i'm retracing my footsteps. keep up the hard work. you'll get there

    ReplyDelete